Don’t you think sometimes food can look so pretty you just want to stare and admire rather than eat it?
… Yeah, me neither. I took a big bite right after this shot!
This is my go to frosting for all things cake. It’s super simple, just 4 ingredients. It’s light and creamy, not as heavy as your typical buttercream recipe. And it’s deliciously sweet, without excessive amounts of butter and sugar. Many other buttercream recipes use lots of butter and sugar so the frosting is more stable, but I’m here to tell you that you don’t need it. Whipping cream by itself holds up beautifully, just add some cream cheese and a little bit of sugar and you’ve got yourself a tasty, cake worthy topping.
- 16 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. package cream cheese (cold)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Before you begin*, place metal bowl and balloon whisk into freezer for 10 minutes.
- Pour heavy whipping cream into metal bowl of stand mixer and turn on medium. Beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form, empty into another bowl and set aside.
- In the same metal bowl of stand mixer without washing combine cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla beat until smooth then using a spatula fold* in whipped cream.
- Use immediately to frost or pipe. Put leftovers into fridge in an airtight container.
*Do not over fold or your whipped cream will deflate and become runny.
This recipe needs to be handled quickly, as the heat from your hands will prevent it from piping stiff.
You are awesome! Thanks so much for the recipe. I was so tired of super sweet sugar frosting and this is so creamy! (I don’t want to tell you how curdled and weird my last attempt at whipped creamy frosting with another recipe was! What was that?!)
I’m writing an article on healthy ingredients in cakes and your recipe is impressive. Preparation was simple, precise, and I don’t even have a mixer, just used my whisk!
You made our day! Thanks.
I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe! The inspiration came from wanting a frosting without all the sugar and butter that you normally get. I can’t believe you made the recipe using a whisk, you are awesome!
This is soooo good! I added a bit orange zest to the recipe and topped a carrot cake. I could eat this with a spoon!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! It’s my go to frosting recipe.