Essential oils may seem like a recent phenomenon to some, but they have been used by people from all over the world for thousands of years. Essential oils are the essence of a plant, a gift from the earth, distilled and prepared for you to bring the power of nature into your home. Inside many plants—hidden in roots, seeds, flowers, bark—are concentrated, highly potent chemical compounds. These natural compounds are essential oils. Essential oils give a plant its scent, protect it from hazardous environmental conditions, and even assist it with pollination, among other important functions and benefits.
(Disclaimer: The following statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.)
How Do Essential Oils Work?
When you open a bottle of pure, unadulterated essential oil, your senses are instantly filled with its potent aroma, even from a distance. What your nose detects are the naturally occurring elements of the essential oil.
Every essential oil varies in its natural makeup, so aromas and benefits are also unique. For example, Lavender oil includes elements that make it effective for soothing skin irritations, reducing anxiousness and feelings of tension, and promoting a restful environment for sleep.
Meanwhile, when taken internally, Frankincense oil supports immune, nervous, and digestive systems, and aids in healthy cellular function.
Uses and Benefits of Essential Oils
Do you feel like you’ve started to hear a lot about essential oils in the last few years? While you might think essential oils are a new, hip trend, plant extracts and plant-based products are deeply rooted in the traditions of the past. Essential oils have been used by ancient civilizations across the globe for:
- Personal care
- Healthcare practices
- Religious ceremonies
- Beauty treatments
- Food preparation
Historically, essential oils were used as part of cultural practices and traditions. However, we now have increasing scientific evidence and research showing that essential oils can be effectively and safely used in a wider range of day-to-day practices and routines for amazing natural health benefits. Today, essential oils can be used for cooking, household cleaning, personal hygiene, sleep, boosting immunity, emotional health, weight management, and much, much more.
When you use essential oils, you’ll have more natural solutions and fewer toxic, synthetically manufactured products in your life and home.
Since long ago, people have used essential oils and plant parts to improve their health and physical well-being. We’ve continued to explore their benefits today, finding that essential oils can be integrated into daily life for a plethora of purposes.
Curious about how you might use essential oils in your everyday life? Here are some uses:
- Support good oral hygiene,
- Reduce appearance of skin imperfections,
- Promote healthy digestion,
- Cleanse and purify the air,
- Promote an uplifting atmosphere,
- Maintain healthy respiratory system and clear breathing,
- And more!
Some essential oils are soothing, toning, and grounding, while others are energizing, warming, and renewing—but all essential oils are natural. The variety of essential oils allows you to naturally and effectively maintain health and address your specific health concerns.
With so many essential oils available, you can tailor them to your specific wants and needs rather than be forced to settle for a generic solution. This makes essential oils a popular choice for those looking for the best natural solutions in the modern era. The versatility of essential oils is part of what has made them so popular in recent years. People love that they can use essential oils for a variety of tasks, without having to buy multiple products.
How to Use Essential Oils
You don’t need a degree in chemistry or extensive training to know how to use essential oils effectively. With a basic understanding of safety precautions and application methods, it is easy to start using essential oils. As you get started with essential oils it’s important to keep these safety guidelines in mind:
- Avoid applying oils to sensitive areas like the nose, ears, eyes, or broken skin. Avoid using “hot oils” on the face. Hot oils or strong oils include Cassia oil, Cinnamon Bark oil, Clove oil, Oregano oil, Thyme oil, and others.
- Always read labels and package instructions before using an essential oil for the first time.
- Use dilution to minimize skin sensitivity.
- Be aware of oils with sun sensitivity warnings.
- Practice safe storage—keep oils out of reach of children.
- Always supervise young children when applying essential oils.
- If you have specific health concerns, talk to a healthcare professional before trying essential oils.
How to Use Essential Oils Aromatically
Aromatic use of essential oils is especially powerful. The sense of smell is a tool that can elicit powerful physiological, mental, and emotional responses. Essential oils are quickly absorbed by smell receptors, which have a direct link to the limbic system, which is the part of your brain that stores memories and emotions. Some essential oils induce uplifting or invigorating effects, while others are more calming.
Diffusing is one of the simplest ways to use essential oils aromatically. You can use an essential oil diffuser if you’d like but using essential oils aromatically does not require any special diffusing devices. You can achieve the same health benefits by simply placing a few drops of essential oil in the palm of your hand, cupping it around your nose, and breathing deeply.
Other Ways to Use Essential Oils Aromatically:
- Apply oil to a cotton ball and place in the air vents of your vehicle
- Mix oils in a spray bottle with water and mist over furniture, carpet, or linens
- Add oil to a batch of laundry or to dryer sheets
- Use in household surface cleaners
How to Use Essential Oils Topically (on the Skin)
Essential oils easily penetrate the skin for localized benefits, making topical (on the skin) application a great way to experience the benefits of essential oils. This is why doTERRA works to create potent essential oils that are powerful enough to promote healthy-looking skin, yet gentle enough to use on a daily basis.
When used topically, essential oils can improve complexion and skin tone. They can also be used as part of a soothing massage. Before topical application, be sure to follow all label recommendations and dilution instructions.
Beneficial Areas You Can Apply Essential Oils:
- Forehead and temples (unless the oil is classified as a “hot oil”)
- Chest and abdomen
- Arms, legs, bottoms of feet
Other Ways to Use Essential Oils Topically:
- Add a few drops of oil to a warm bath
- Make a hot or cold compress by soaking a cloth in water, adding essential oils, and then applying to the desired area
- Add oil to a lotion or moisturizer and then apply to skin
Sensitive Areas to be Avoided:
- Some facial areas, such as the skin around the eyes
- Eyes and inner ears
- Broken, damaged, or otherwise injured skin
How to Use Essential Oils Internally
When ingested, essential oils directly enter the bloodstream via the gastrointestinal tract, where they are transported throughout the rest of the body. Essential oils are readily transported to all organs of the body, including the brain.
Follow label recommendations and other professional guidelines for dosage when using essential oils internally.
Effective Methods of Internal Application:
- Add essential oils to water, smoothies, milk, tea, or other drinks
- Put a drop under the tongue
- Take in a veggie capsule or add to a small amount of applesauce or yogurt
- Use oils in recipes for cooking or baking to replace fresh or dried herbs and spices. Remember, essential oils are much more potent than dried or fresh herbs and spices, so start with a very small amount. Use a toothpick for particularly potent oils.
If you’re wondering where to buy essential oils, you don’t have to look far.
However, be careful where you look, because many essential oils on the market are heavily contaminated or adulterated with synthetic chemicals. If you’re buying essential oils, it means you want something completely natural and safe. Make sure that you don’t inadvertently buy something you think is natural but turns out to be synthetic.
When you want essential oils that are safe and effective, the most important thing to look for is purity. Pure essential oils allow you to reap the full benefits that nature has to offer. They can support you, empower you, and revive you. And when using only the purest essential oils, you can be confident that they are safe to use with your family.
Remember, you usually get what you pay for, and essential oils are no different.
Essential oils are everywhere. You can find essential oils at grocery stores, online, and even in your neighborhood market. With so many choices, how do you know which essential oils are best?
In a market where every company claims to have “pure” essential oils, how do you really know if the oils you’re using are pure? How do you know if the essential oils you’re buying are worthy of being used by you and your family?
Pure essential oils have an incredible potential to soothe, support, and revive you and your loved ones in a completely natural way. If you want the best essential oils, find out if the company you plan to buy from takes the following precautions to ensure the quality of their oils:
- Sustainable and responsible sourcing (Where do their oils come from?)
- Extensive and thorough testing (Do they test their oils for adulteration and contamination?)
- Clear and accessible safety and usage information (Do they show customers how to use the oils safely?)
- Transparency (Do they use third-party testing? Do they make test results public?)
When you use a bottle of doTERRA essential oil, you’re using an oil that is pure. There are no contaminants, fillers, or adulterations. The essential oil industry did not have standards to ensure purity, so doTERRA created one.
Every batch of doTERRA essential oils goes through a rigorous testing process—well beyond what would be considered “good enough.” After that, each oil is sent to an independent third party for further testing and validation.
It’s more than just testing that sets doTERRA essential oils apart. Responsible sourcing of essential oils is extremely important. There are several ways to produce essential oils, and not all essential oils are created equal. Some companies choose to cut costs by using low-quality plants or adulterate their oils with cheap substances. While cutting corners might save an essential oil company time and money, it will result in a low-quality oil. Unfortunately, many of the production methods in the essential oil industry can also be harmful to the environment or result in the unfair treatment of farmers and growers.
Every oil sold by doTERRA is responsibly and sustainably sourced. doTERRA focuses on sourcing practices that will produce only the highest quality essential oils.
Where to Buy Essential Oils?
Unfortunately, the world of online shopping has made getting verified products difficult unless you know it comes directly from someone you trust. Many online sellers claim to be selling oils from doTERRA, but the following problems persist:
- It’s relatively easy for unverified sellers to take off the cap and ring of a bottle and either dilute or replace the oil entirely. They then put on a new cap and seal and sell it for profit.
- There is no way to tell where exactly the oil is coming from. doTERRA works with committed growing partners all over the world in order to get the best plants. We rely on the expertise of local farmers and harvesters, and help support the sustainable harvesting and growth of every plant. But, when an oil is tampered with, you no longer know what is in your bottle.
- You can’t determine what conditions the bottle sat in before it was shipped. In the cool doTERRA warehouse, each oil is carefully packaged and kept from extreme conditions.
No guarantee exists for oils purchased through other sources online. Using an oil that comes from uncertain origins could be potentially dangerous for you or your family’s health. Buying only from someone you know or online directly from doTERRA itself is the only way to make sure you’re getting the quality you are used to and need.
In purchasing from a doTERRA Wellness Advocate and getting your oils directly from the source, you ensure that you are receiving the very best quality and care.
Are you ready to order some essential oils for yourself or someone you know? I would love to help you get started on your oil journey and would be happy to discuss any questions you may have.