Hey Modern Wheat, I’ve got a bone to pick with you! You’re loaded with carbs and gluten, you are not good friends with Weight Loss, you can be hard to digest, your overconsumption can lead to several diseases, and your nutritional value just plain sucks. You are – simply put – unfit for a healthy lifestyle… But you do make bread, and I looove bread – I mean who doesn’t? – but knowing what we know today about modern wheat, I just don’t feel good eating it. Don’t you wish there was a healthier, great tasting alternative to modern wheat?
Well wish no more, because the answer to that question has been here all along, and it’s called einkorn!
(Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning – at no cost to you – if you click through and make a purchase we earn a commission which helps support Feel Good Fam, thank you!)
Einkorn is an ancient grain, sometimes called “man’s first wheat.” It is the most ancient and also the purest grain that can be bought today. Examples of its purity can be seen in the number of chromosomes einkorn has, which is two. Most plants also have two sets of chromosomes, whereas modern wheat has six. Sign me up for the grain that more closely resembles the majority of plants. The grains of einkorn are also much smaller than the grains of modern wheat which have grown in size as a result of the large scale production demands of profit focused farming. When you eat einkorn today, you are eating the same type of grains from thousands of years ago, long before people started tinkering with the natural processes of foods. When I first heard about einkorn I was immediately on board, and as much as possible I try to use einkorn flour in my recipes.
The specific einkorn flour I use is from Jovial Foods, which can be bought in local stores as well as from websites such as Amazon.com. Buy Jovial Foods Organic Einkorn Flour from Amazon and enjoy eating healthier wheat!
So what are some actual nutritional differences between einkorn and modern wheat? Well…
- Einkorn contains around 4 to 5 times more riboflavin than modern wheat. Riboflavin is an antioxidant used by the body to create energy. It also helps slow down the body’s aging process.
- Einkorn contains 3 to 4 times more beta carotene than modern wheat. Carotenoids are good for the immune system, and can help prevent cancer and other diseases.
- Einkorn contains twice as much Vitamin A and 3 to 4 times more lutein than modern wheat. Both of these are good news for your eye health.
- Einkorn is easier to digest than modern wheat. If you experience digestive issues after consuming modern wheat, consider switching to einkorn which is easier on the body. This also means nutrients are better absorbed by the body compared to modern wheat.
- Einkorn does have gluten, but it is different from the gluten found in modern wheat and the gluten count is also lower in einkorn. Considering gluten is a major culprit in the degradation of gut health (aka leaky gut), switching to einkorn from modern wheat can help promote positive change in gut health. People who have a gluten sensitivity can try eating foods made with einkorn flour as an alternative to other forms of wheat.
In addition to all of the above, you know what else I love about einkorn? It tastes good! My family has enjoyed all of the recipes I’ve made with einkorn. It’s important that you enjoy what you eat. When you have that in a food that’s also a healthier alternative, you have a winning combination. Go with einkorn, the wheat winner. Feel good fam!